Prismatic is a technology development company, specialising in the design, manufacture and delivery of innovative, high value aerospace products and systems. Prismatic is a subsidiary of BAE systems, led by a technically and commercially focused team. Our cutting edge systems (such as the high-altitude PHASA-35) have clear commercial value, are developed at pace and address critical customer needs.
Reports to CTO and when on flight operations to Head of Flight Operations.
Works with CTO’s team on strategic meteorological (MET) aspects of the PHASA35 development and operational program. PHASA35 is much more weather sensitive than most other aircraft and operates for much of its time at altitudes where conventional aviation forecasts are not applicable.
Works with flight operations team to provide tactical MET support, identifying flight opportunities and supporting flight crews with detailed MET information throughout flight campaigns.
Tasks and Accountabilities
Outline Job Profile
- Identify and obtain the best available data to analyse suitability of flight locations and missions
- Perform detailed MET analysis to identify and evaluate flight operations locations and seasonal availability
- Keep abreast of the latest research on high-altitude (50k -70k ft) atmospheric science and lower altitude MET that is of relevance to HALE UAVs
- Identify, develop and maintain MET (software) tools for worldwide analysis of flying operations
- Identify and obtain the best sources of data to provide detailed flight weather forecasts
- Provide detailed forecasting for flight operations and support crews with MET information and hazard warning throughout flights
- Support take-off and landing opportunity selection during flight trials
- Liaise with local forecasting organisations at flight trials sites
- Manage the operation of MET support equipment including atmospheric LIDAR, ground weather stations and radiosonde equipment.
Qualifications / Experience / Interests
- Degree or equivalent experience in Meteorology, Physics or related subject
- Detailed understanding of the physics of the atmosphere
- 3+ years’ experience in an applied-meteorology role
Some of the following may be beneficial
- Experience of both long-term MET analysis and short-term forecasting
- Experience of aviation weather forecasting
- Experience of data analysis and programming in high-level languages such as MATLAB, Python, R or similar
Principal Terms and Conditions
- Post – Permanent.
- Salary – to be agreed.
- Pension – 10% contribution from the company included.
- Leave – 25 days plus bank holidays.
- Working time 37.5 hrs per week.
- Location – Alton, Hampshire, UK. Note that this role may involve up to 8 weeks per year deployed overseas in support of flight test operations.
- Start – March 2022.