Prismatic is a technology development company, specialising in the design, manufacture and delivery of innovative, high value aerospace products and systems. Prismatic is a subsidiary of BAE systems, led by a technically and commercially focused team. Our cutting edge systems (such as the high-altitude PHASA-35) have clear commercial value, are developed at pace and address critical customer needs.
A challenging opportunity for a graduate or experienced control engineer to be involved in development of in-flight systems on cutting edge UAVs. There are two key technical areas that need support. The first on is focussed on flight controllers that maintain attitude, keep the aircraft within its defined flight envelope, and support navigation. The second is onboard systems automation that enables aircraft to operate for long periods without intervention by the ground control station.
Whilst this role is academically demanding, the successful candidate will see their work contribute to real flight systems with opportunity for rapid iteration and development.
Tasks and Accountabilities
Outline Job Profile
- Responsible for the development, integration and testing of vehicle control systems, including flight control and onboard systems management.
- Design and implement functional algorithms within a UAV Auto-Pilot system.
- Identify, model and integrate control and sensing equipment into the air vehicle control system architecture.
- Perform dynamic modelling of control dynamics in the control system and validation of the vehicle dynamic model.
- Perform verification activities for the vehicle control system including SIL and HIL, and provide support when needed to the flight-testing team.
- Experience of MATLAB/Simulink, Python.
- Support to flight operations in the UK and overseas.
- Generation of documentation packs.
- Support the transfer to routine operation.
- To designated supervising engineers for technical delivery.
- To project managers for schedule delivery.
Qualifications / Experience / Interests / Mindset
Qualifications or experience in some of the following areas could be beneficial, however, please note applications are welcome from all ranges of experience.
- Have obtained a BSc/BEng/MSc/MEng in relevant disciplines e.g. Control Engineering, Software Engineering.
- Experience of flight control or electrical power management systems
- Practical ‘implementation focussed’ mindset.
- Interest in aviation, robotics, automated systems.
- An ability to compromise many competing interests and deliver to schedule.
Principal Terms and Conditions
- Post – Full-time employee.
- Salary – to be agreed depending on experience.
- Pension – included.
- Leave – 25 days plus bank holidays.
- Working time 37.5 hrs per week.
- Location – Alton, Hampshire, UK.
- Start – March 2022.